Child Care Business Info
- Reasons to start a child care business: Your reasons for opening a child care program will affect the type of care you provide. This link offers insight into why you might open a child care program.
- Are you Ready?
- Getting started. Gives you an overview of what you need to know so you can decide if running a child care business is a good investment for you.
- Preparing a business plan. Helps you define how much money you will need, how you will earn it, and how you will spend it.
- Preparing a management plan. Helps you plan how you will run your business.
- Training. Helps you plan the training you will need.
- Finding a Location: Before you decide to use your home for a family child care business or commit to a building for a child care center, you will need to look at indoor and outdoor space for health and safety issues. You will also need to check zoning and homeowner association covenants.
- Needs assessment: Before you invest money in a child care business, you need to determine if your community needs another child care center or family child care home.
Source: Child Care Aware/Child Care Providers: http://childcareaware.org/child-care-providers
How to Start a Family Child Care Program in the Home
Health and Safety is required by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services to open a family or group family child care program. Check our calendar for upcoming dates for the next series.
Health and Safety Training:
Our next Health and Safety Training dates will be September 19th, 20th and 22nd from 9am-3pm
To view out letter of interest with instructions on how to register: Health and Safety and Packet
- Learn to provide safe and secure play-spaces for children from child development experts.
- Prepare for situations such as fires and medical emergencies with proven methods that follow NYS regulations.
- Learn your responsibilities as a mandated reporter of child abuse.
- Provide a healthy environment by mastering infection control techniques, learning to conduct daily health checks, and keep accurate health histories.
- To sign up for Health and Safety training please go to ECETP e-Learning
- Click on find training
- Enter the start date and click the box next to Health & Safety just below the start date
- Scroll down to find the correct training offered by Southern Adirondack Child Care Network.
How to Start a Child Care Center or School-Age Program
The Southern Adirondack Child Care Network provides support for people and organizations that are interested in starting a Child Care Center or School-Age Child Care programs in their communities. To obtain a registration, the applicant must show that the child care program meets requirements that the state has established to help ensure the health and safety of children in care. For information on how to start a child care center or school-age program outside of your home, contact Patty Miller at 518-798-7972, extension 211 or via email at [email protected].